A new decade is upon us and as a result we have outlined our goals that we will be pursuing as a business in 2020. In order to achieve these, we’re working to follow a number of the UN’s 17 Sustainable Development goals which outline how we can work together on a global scale to ensure that both people and the planet are protected for years to come.
You can find out more about the UN Sustainability goals here, and read on to find out which of the 17 UN goals we’re aligning with under our own personal business goals.
UN Sustainability Goals We’re Aiming to Follow:
Goal 1. End poverty in all its forms everywhere
Goal 5. Achieve gender equality and empower all women and girls
Goal 6. Ensure availability and sustainable management of water and sanitation for all
Goal 8. Promote sustained, inclusive and sustainable economic growth, full and productive employment and decent work for all
Goal 10. Reduce inequality within and among countries
Goal 12. Ensure sustainable consumption and production patterns
Goal 13. Take urgent action to combat climate change and its impacts*
Goal 14. Conserve and sustainably use the oceans, seas and marine resources for sustainable development
Goal 16. Promote peaceful and inclusive societies for sustainable development, provide access to justice for all and build effective, accountable and inclusive institutions at all levels
Fanfare Goal 1: Awareness of Over Consumption
UN Sustainability Goals 8 & 12
- We’re encouraging responsible consumption by not chasing trends but instead supporting the purchase of only what is needed. Buying better, Buying Less and Styling it up.
- We create season-less clothing that is always in style and relevant. By not chasing mirco trends we follow macro trends, those that stay for a number of years rather than a number of weeks.
- We encourage the changing of habits in relation to over consumption. Being encouraged to buy new clothing every week is a model based on planned obsolecence, leading to redundancy. We're looking to change this.
- We actively encourage a buying to last mentality, creating clothing that can be worn in multiple ways or reversed for a different look.
- We aim to shift opinions about sustainable fashion. Our marketing activities are used to promote a more environmental way of living, using examples to educate the consumer about wastage, over consumption, landfill and chemicals within our clothing.
- We do not compromise on the quality of our materials, or the strength of our design. Therefore, sustainability is considered at every step of the design process. We use the best quality materials that can pass the 30 wash test.
- We want to create a cycle of positive value for workers and for customers – making clothes we can all feel proud of. This means we don’t go on sale or slash our prices at the end of every season.
Fanfare Goal 2: Workers’ Rights & People
UN Sustainability Goals 1, 5, 8, 10 & 17
- We ensure Fair Pay for all of our garment workers.
- We maintain an active Anti trafficking stance, working with charities to combat the issue globally
- We actively support Women’s Rights & Women’s economic empowerment, and provide a shining example on what women can achieve.
- We speak up for those without a voice.
- We work to Encourage, Empower, Educate and Equip our workforce.
- We operate supply chains that are free from exploitation and inequality.
- We provide safe working conditions free from abuse, harassment and slavery.
- We maintain the highest levels of Human Rights and Human Dignity.
- We respect, protect and promote human rights and fundamental freedoms for all empowerment of women at the global, regional and national levels.
- We are dedicated to partnering time-honored artisan skills with contemporary design for the benefit of artisan and the creative communities. We work directly with artisan groups and producers, not through agents or brokers.
- Our pledge is to continue to bring transparency to our efforts and to provide our customers the highest quality natural products.
- All of our products are made in the UK where we can guarantee fair wages and good working standards have been met. We visit each factory in London and assess their working conditions.
- We supply British made clothes, creating jobs and prosperity in the UK. This creates opportunities at a local level by leveraging local talent and knowledge, working with small business owners to promote their skills set providing them with fair pair, exposure opportunities and work.
- We are growing our work with Indigenous communities and charities empowering women.
Fanfare Goal 3: Wastage and Environment - Planet
UN Sustainability Goals 6, 13 & 14
- Our garments can be recycled.
- Our upcycling collection encourages customers and designers to reuse, recycle and redesign.
- We use natural resources to make our clothing, operating on the idea of humanity in harmony with nature.
- We commit to making fundamental changes in the way that our societies produce and consume goods and services.
- We are actively changing unsustainable consumption and production patterns towards more sustainable patterns of consumption and production.
- We only use GOTS certified organic cotton in our products.
- In our organic cotton garments the material percentage is at least 95% organic.
- We have organic labelling in all garments.
- Our packaging is recycled and marketing materials are made from recycled paper.
- We use biodegradable postal bags.
- We use recycled glass buttons.
- Some fabrics are made from recycled fabrics that otherwise would have been wastage and ended up on landfill. We have taken them and make them into garments, providing purpose to dead stock from production lines from our suppliers.
- We offer a range of upcycled/vintage pieces that are only available in popup shops.
- We don’t own or produce any dead stock.
- We repair and extend products life to reduce landfill wastage.
Fanfare is a message for future change. Campaigning for fashion that's fair and a brighter, a responsible fashion industry and empowers, rescues and restores people. We are looking for people to help us grow and spread our message, people with drive, people that are as passionate as about making fashion sustainable.
We dream of a future where people don’t have to worry about where their clothes are made or who they’re made by. We want people that can share our values and messages to help us grow and to be part of our network. You can be a part of this too:
- Buy a piece of sustainable clothing and tell your friends about it, share it on social media and let people know that you’re wearing a garment that’s good for people and for the planet.
- Share any Fanfare posts, articles and newsletters that you enjoy with friends and family.
- Help us promote our values, articles and messages over social media.
- Become an Ambassador of the brand.
- Sign up to our Newsletter.
- Become a campaigner and have your sustainable fashion story published to our readers and customers - read Nadine’s story here.